Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 11/17/2015

Other Government Agencies

​Payments from certain government programs for health care services you provide are exempt from MinnesotaCare Tax.

The exemption includes payments from the following government sources:

  • Chemical Dependency Fund
  • Federal Head Start programs
  • Federal, state, or local government agencies for services provided to prison inmates
  • Migrant Health Service Project
  • Minnesota Board of Medical Practice
  • Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
  • Minnesota Department of Public Safety
  • Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Minnesota State Services for the Blind
  • State of Minnesota for detoxification services
  • State of Minnesota for rehabilitation services
  • U.S. Bureau of Prisons
  • U.S. Indian Health Service
  • U.S. Public Health Service

The exemption also includes payments from the following entities or programs, if funded entirely by federal, state, or local government agencies:

  • Adult detention centers
  • Crime victims reparation programs
  • Gambling treatment programs
  • Home schools
  • Juvenile detention centers

The exemption does not include payments from:

  • Federal, state, or local government employee insurance plans
  • General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC)
  • Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Minnesota Comprehensive Health Association (MCHA)
  • MinnesotaCare
  • Prepaid Medical Assistance Programs (PMAP)
  • U.S. Veterans Affairs
  • Workers Compensation