Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Dry Cleaner Fees

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Dry Cleaner Fees > File and Pay

  • Where can I find my Minnesota tax ID number?Back to top

    Your ID number is on all letters that we send to you. If you can't find the number, call us at 651-282-5770. ​

  • Can I file my return electronically?Back to top

    You must file your Dry Cleaning Solvents Fee and Dry Cleaning Solvents Use Fee with your Sales and Use Tax return in e-Services.

    File your Annual Registration Fee for Dry Cleaning Facilities on Form DC1.

  • If I have part time employees, do I count their hours when calculating the "full-time equivalence rate"?Back to top

    Yes. You must count all hours worked at your facility. ​

  • Do I count hours of work that are unrelated to dry cleaning when calculating the "full-time equivalence rate"?Back to top

    Yes. You must count all hours worked at your facility, even non-dry cleaning activities such as wet washing, alterations and car washing. ​

  • Who is exempt from paying dry cleaner fees?Back to top

    The following types of facilities (or sales to such facilities) are exempt from the fee:

    • Coin-operated dry cleaning operation
    • Prison or other penal institution
    • Uniform service or linen supply facility
    • U.S. military base
    • Facilities
      • on the national priorities environmental cleanup list established under the federal Superfund Act
      • where an environmental cleanup effort (or "response action") started before July 1, 1995, unless a settlement was reached with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency by July 1, 1997

  • If the solvent that I am using is considered non-toxic, do I still have to pay the fee?Back to top

    Yes. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency determines what solvents are subject to this fee.  Generally, any non-aqueous solvent used to clean clothes or other fabrics at a dry cleaning facility, is subject to the fee. This includes (but is not limited to)

    • Perchloroethylene
    • Hydrocarbon-based dry cleaning solvent
    • Other non-aqueous solvents

  • I own a dry cleaning facility and work when needed without paying myself an hourly wage. Do I need to include my hours when calculating the "full-time equivalence rate"?Back to top

    Yes. You must count all hours worked at your facility–paid or unpaid. ​