Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > File and Pay > Innocent spouse allocation

  • What if I already made payments?Back to top

    If you overpaid your portion of the debt, we will refer to the date the payment applied to determine if the overpayment is eligible for refund. Only payments made within 3 ½ years of the tax return due date or 1 year from the date of the Order, whichever period expires later can be refunded.

  • What if my divorce decree says I’m not liable for tax debt?Back to top

    ​The department does not honor divorce decrees. We may collect state tax debt from either spouse. You need to seek repayment from your spouse or former spouse on your own.

  • What if I owe Property Tax Refund debt?Back to top

    ​The Innocent Spouse Program only applies to Individual Income Tax debt. Both spouses are responsible for any Property Tax debt.

    Please contact the Collection Division at 651-556-3003 or 1-800-657-3909 (toll-free) to make payment arrangements for your Property Tax Refund debt.

  • What if I want to stop the Innocent Spouse process?Back to top

    ​If you change your mind, you may ask us to stop the Innocent Spouse process.