Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us


8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Collections > Topic > Compromises

  • Why do I have to pay the compromise amount in one payment?Back to top

    Compromise agreements require you to pay the agreed amount quickly, within 30 days. ​

  • My IRS offer-in-compromise has been accepted. Does this mean that my Minnesota offer-in-compromise will be automatically accepted? Back to top

    No. The Internal Revenue Service and the Minnesota Department of Revenue are two separate agencies. A compromise approved by one agency may not be approved by the other.

  • Will collection action stop while you consider my compromise request? Back to top

    Maybe. But if collection action has already begun, we will not reverse it while we review your compromise request.

  • How long does a compromise offer take to process? Back to top

    It may vary. We will generally process your offer within 60 days if you submit everything we require with the compromise request.

  • Do I need someone to represent me?Back to top

    No. Any taxpayer can make a compromise offer, whether or not they are represented.      

  • Will my tax liens be released if my offer-in-compromise is accepted? Back to top

    If we accept your offer, we will release liens after you have paid the agreed-upon amount. You must pay in secured funds (cashier’s check or money order). We will not release liens for 30 days after receiving unsecured funds (personal or business checks).

  • Can I make payments on my offer-in-compromise? Back to top

    Generally no, but in rare circumstances we might allow a compromise payment agreement.

  • What can I do if you deny my compromise offer? Back to top

    You may pay the full balance, submit a counter-offer, or request a payment agreement. To request a payment agreement, contact the collection officer who denied your compromise offer.

    You may also ask for a reconsideration of our denial. Send your request, in writing, to:
    Minnesota Revenue
    Taxpayer Rights Advocate Office
    P.O. Box 7335
    St. Paul, MN 55107-7335

  • Can I get relief from the tax liability by filing bankruptcy? Back to top

    Possibly. Part or all of your tax liability may be dischargeable under the bankruptcy code. If this is a consideration, you may want to seek legal advice.