Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Corporate Franchise Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Corporation Franchise Tax > What's New

  • Where can I get the Form M4 series?Back to top

    You can download the Form M4 series and instructions from our website.

    You may fax a request to 651-556-5209. The requested forms will be sent via fax.

    Please include your contact information:

    -Phone number
    -Fax number

    The department no longer prints most business tax forms and instructions, including those for corporations.​

  • How do I calculate the federal bonus depreciation if the asset is sold early?Back to top

    When bonus depreciation is taken on a federal return, the treatment for the state is "locked." The 80 percent addback for Minnesota is required for the year the bonus depreciation is taken, and there is a subtraction in equal parts for the following five tax years regarding that addback (regardless of early disposition of the asset).​

  • What is the minimum fee?Back to top

    A corporation is subject to a minimum fee if the sum of its Minnesota source property, payroll and sales or receipts is at least $500,000. In some cases, the property, payroll and sales used for computing the minimum fee will be different from those used for apportionment.

    You will determine the minimum fee when you complete the Form M4 series.

  • Who is required to file a corporation franchise tax return?Back to top

    If you are a corporation doing business in Minnesota and you have not elected to be taxed as an S corporation, you must file the Minnesota Form M4 series. Before you complete the Form M4 series, complete federal Form 1120 and supporting schedules.

  • When is the corporation required to pay estimated tax?Back to top

    A corporation must make quarterly estimated tax payments if its total franchise tax liability is $500 or more.

    Estimated tax payments are due by the 15th day of the third, sixth, ninth and 12th months of the tax year. If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, your payment is due the following business day.​

  • Do I need a Minnesota tax ID number as well as a federal ID number?Back to top

  • When is Form M4 due?Back to top

    The regular due date for Form M4 is the same as the federal regular due date.

    If the regular due date falls on a weekend or holiday, your return is due the following business day.

  • How do I apply for an extension?Back to top

    All corporations are granted an automatic seven-month extension to file Form M4.
    There is NO extension to pay. All tax must be paid by the regular due date.

  • How do I make the federal bonus depreciation adjustment?Back to top

    Minnesota does not fully adopt bonus depreciation under IRC section 168[k]. The federal provision allows taxpayers to elect to deduct 100% of the cost of most new capital assets.

    Minnesota law requires taxpayers to add back 80 percent of the bonus depreciation to their Minnesota return [M.S. 290.0133, Subd. 11]. The addback can then be taken as a subtraction in equal parts over the following five tax years.

  • Can I file my corporation franchise tax return electronically?Back to top

    Click here to see software products that currently support electronic filing of business income tax returns.​