Sign In
Last Updated: 5/8/2017

Non-Liable Spouse

Contact Us

Revenue Recapture

8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon.-Fri.


Top FAQs

  • No Top FAQs for this page
see all

Related Information

About This Page

We may take a joint refund (for married filers) for debts owed by one of the spouses. The other (non-liable) spouse may request their portion of the refund. If your agency receives a claim from a non-liable spouse, you must :

  1. Determine how much of the original refund belongs to them.
  2. Contact the Revenue Recapture Program about returning the refund.
  3. Update the claim in the Revenue Recapture system. 

Non-liable spouses must request their portion of any refund within 18 months of the department's recapture notice for that refund.

View the law, Minnesota Rules 8165.0400.