Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/27/2017

Withholding Information and Your Income Tax Return

If Minnesota income tax was withheld from any of your income, you must complete Schedule M1W, Minnesota Income Tax Withheld. Enclose the schedule with your Form M1, Individual Income Tax.

Don’t enclose your W-2 and 1099 forms. Keep copies of these documents with your tax records and have them available if there are questions about your return.

Use Schedule M1W to report your wages and tax withheld. Include only Minnesota withholding on your M1W. On most W-2s, state withholding is found in box 17, and the state identification (MN) is found in box 15. (Make sure you don’t use federal, Social Security or another state's withholding, which is a common error on state returns.)

Be sure to list all Minnesota income tax that was withheld from your salary, wages, pensions or other income. This withholding is typically found on W-2 and 1099 forms.

If you’re a nonresident partner or nonresident shareholder in an S corporation, you may have state withholding on your Schedule KPI or Schedule KS. Remember to include this on the Schedule M1W