Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 1/18/2018

Education Savings Account Recapture Tax

If a withdrawal from a qualified account is used for anything other than to pay for qualified higher education expenses, the account owner must pay an additional tax on the amount of the distribution and amounts previously claimed as a subtraction or credit.

How do I report this recapture tax?

The recapture tax is not applicable in tax year 2017. More information will be made available in 2018.