Wherever possible, the Minnesota Department of Revenue works to bridge cultural and language barriers between the department and members of limited-English-speaking communities.
Through its Community Outreach Program, the department:
- Provides free tax-preparation help to people of limited means.
- Raises awareness of taxpayer rights and responsibilities.
- Informs taxpayers about credits and refunds in languages they can understand.
The program serves Minnesota’s Latino, Asian, and Somali communities. Languages spoken include Hmong, Spanish, Somali and Kiswahili.
Tax specialists from the department are available to speak to groups and individuals about taxpayer rights and responsibilities, credits and refunds, and other tax-related issues. For more information, contact one of our community outreach specialists:
Asian Outreach Coordinator
Hispanic Outreach Coordinator
East African Outreach Coordinator
Free Tax Assistance
The department, in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, AARP, and AccountAbility Minnesota, provides free tax assistance during each year’s filing season to elderly, disabled and low-income taxpayers.
To find a tax assistance location near you:
- Go to Free Tax Preparation Sites, for more information and a searchable list of locations.
- Call 651-297-3724 or 1-800-657-3989 to search by ZIP code for locations. The numbers are available each year from Feb. 1 to April 15.
- Contact the department by mail or telephone:
Minnesota Department of Revenue
600 North Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55146
Phone: 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094 (TTY users call 711 for Minnesota Relay)