Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/3/2017

Offset Letters

Contact Us


8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

  • No Top FAQs for this page
see all

Related Information

About This Page

When we offset (take) a tax refund or government payment you are owed to pay your tax debt or other debt, we must notify you in writing. We will mail two notices to your last known address (see below).

Notice of Intent to Offset 

We must notify you by mail 60 days before we file an offset claim with the U.S. Treasury Department to take your federal tax refunds or government payments.

This letter will tell you:

  • Which agency is filing an offset claim
  • The dollar amount we  plan to offset
  • What debts are included in that amount
  • Who to contact if you have questions
Note:  If your debt is for individual income tax, we must send this notice by certified mail.

Notice of Payment Offset

The Treasury Department will send you this notice when it sends us the money from your federal tax refund or government payment.

This letter will tell you:

  • The amount and type of payment being offset
  • Where the payment is being sent
  • Who to contact if you have questions
Note: It may take several weeks for the payment to be applied to your debt.