You can find step-by-step guides to filing electronically by clicking on “FAQs” on the top left-hand side of the e-Services login page.
What You Will Need to File by Telephone
- Your seven-digit Minnesota tax identification number
- Your personal password
- The total amount deposited this period, including any credits being carried forward from the previous period
- The wages paid during the period
- The number of employees during the period
- The total tax withheld for each month during the quarter
You may want to print out the following instructions for reference.
- Make sure you are using a touch-tone phone, then dial 1-800-570-3329.
- Press 1 if you are calling from a touch-tone phone, then press 2 to file or pay a business tax.
- Enter your seven-digit Minnesota tax identification number. Do not enter leading or trailing zeros.
- Press 1 if your Minnesota tax identification number correct. Press 2 if your Minnesota tax identification number incorrect, and re-enter your Minnesota tax identification number.
- For first time users, you will be prompted to create a password. Create your own personal password consisting of four to eight digits.
- If you have already established a password, enter your password followed by the pound (#) key.
- Press 1 to file a return, then press 1 to file a withholding tax return.
- Press 2 to file a return for the current quarter, press 3 for a different filing period, press 4 for an amended return, or press 5 to return to the main menu.
- Enter the total amount of deposits you made for the quarter plus any credit carried forward from the previous quarter followed by the pound (#) key.
- Press 1 if the amount is correct. Press 2 if the amount is incorrect, and re-enter your deposits.
- If your deposits match our records, go to Step 9.
- If your deposits do not match ours and you want to accept the department's figures, press 1. If you believe our records are incorrect, hang up and call 651-282-9999 or 1-800-657-3594.
- Enter the total tax withheld for the first, second and third month of the quarter separately, followed by the pound (#) key. If the figures are correct press 1. Press 2 if the figures are incorrect and re-enter the tax withheld.
- If you did not withhold any tax this quarter, enter zero for each month.
- Enter the wages paid during the quarter followed by the pound (#) key.
- Press 1 if the amount is incorrect. Press 2 if the amount is incorrect, then re-enter wages.
- Enter the number of employees who worked for you during the quarter, followed by the pound (#) key.
- Press 1 if the number is correct. Press 2 if the number is incorrect, then re-enter the number of employees.
- If there is a payment due with your return, press 1 to pay electronically, or press 2 to pay another way (i.e. with a check and MW5 deposit form, ACH credit or Fed Wire).
If you choose to pay electronically - Step 13:
- Follow the prompts to pay electronically. The first time you pay electronically you will need your bank account number and your bank's routing number (see illustration below to locate these two numbers). If you are unable to locate these, please contact your bank. You can find your bank's routing number and account number on the bottom of your check. Both numbers start after the two dots [:], and end with the bar [I].
Note: Sometimes these two numbers are reversed. The bank routing number is always a nine-digit number.
- If your transaction is successful, you will receive a confirmation number. Be sure to save your confirmation number for future reference.
If you choose to pay another way - Step 13:
- If you have chosen to pay another way, press 1 to hear the confirmation again, or press 2 to end the call. Be sure to save your confirmation number for future reference.