Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/12/2016

Purchaser Sales Tax Refund

Contact Us

Sales and Use Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

Related Information

About This Page

If you were incorrectly charged Minnesota sales tax by a vendor on your purchase, you may request a refund using Form ST11, Sales and Use Tax Refund Request and Multiple Period Amended Return as outlined below.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You’re registered with the department to collect and remit Sales and Use Tax in Minnesota.

  • The refund amount must be more than $500. (For smaller amounts, you must request a refund from the vendor.)

You can file two requests per calendar year. If your Minnesota tax ID number changed during the request period, you must file a separate request for each ID number.

If you get a refund from the vendor for sales tax on any item listed on Form ST11, you must reimburse the department for that amount (plus any interest paid by the vendor).

Required Documentation

You must include the following documentation with your request:

1. A description of your business.

2. A detailed worksheet that lists the following information for each requested item. Put this list in chronological order with monthly subtotals:

    • Vendor’s name

    • Invoice number and date

    • Description of the item purchased

    • Purchase price

    • Sales tax amount and date it was paid

    • Reason for the refund request (use the numeric code under “Reason codes”)

You may submit this documentation electronically on a CD or by email as directed on Form ST11. We may request additional documentation, such as copies of invoices or canceled checks. Keep copies of your refund request and all supporting records for at least 3½ years.