Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/14/2016

Licensing Information

​Who needs a liquor license?

Liquor distributors and liquor stores must have a liquor license to sell alcoholic products in Minnesota.

Liquor distributor licenses  

The Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division of the Department of Public Safety licenses and regulates liquor sales made by distributors. For more information, visit the Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement website.

Liquor retailer licenses

Local authorities license and regulate liquor sales made by liquor stores. For more information about liquor licensing, contact your city office.   

Licensing for retail sales of cigarettes and tobacco products

If you make retail sales of cigarettes and tobacco products in Minnesota, you must have a special retailer’s license. For more information, see Cigarette and Tobacco Product Taxes Fact Sheet 2, License Requirement for Retailers.

< Taxable Purchases and Use Tax Filing Returns and Record-keeping >
Return​​​​ to contents page for this guide