Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 3/13/2018

How to Report Alcohol, Cigarette, or Tobacco Smuggling

Contact Us

Cigarette Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

  • No Top FAQs for this page
see all

Related Information

About This Page

What is alcohol, cigarette or tobacco smuggling?

Smuggling is when alcohol, cigarette, or tobacco products are unlawfully transported into Minnesota to avoid or evade Minnesota tax. Usually the smuggled product is brought into Minnesota from a state that has a lower tax rate than Minnesota. However, sometimes product is brought into Minnesota from higher tax states by persons who are able to acquire untaxed product in the other state.

If you suspect someone of smuggling alcohol, cigarettes, or tobacco products into Minnesota. please call, email or write to the Minnesota Department of Revenue (see Contact Information). You may remain anonymous, but it is helpful to provide your contact information in case we need to ask for clarification or more details.

When you contact us, try to include all the details you know about the suspect(s) and why you believe they are evading alcohol, cigarette, or tobacco taxes. We will want to know:

  • The name(s) and address of the suspect(s) or their business.
  • What makes you believe they are smuggling.
  • How you know about the smuggling, how long it has been going on, and how much money is involved.
  • Any details you know about the suspect(s) concealing assets or using unreported income.
  • What records you know about, or have access to, that would show a violation occurred.
  • The name(s) of anyone else who might be able to provide information or confirm your suspicion.
  • Other information about the suspect(s) or their financial accounts or assets, such as date of birth, Social Security number or Minnesota Tax ID Number, bank account locations or numbers, etc.

To report violations of federal tax laws, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or go to the IRS website.

Note: There is no reward for reporting tax crimes. Under state privacy laws, we cannot disclose what, if any, action we take based on information you provide.

Contact Information

Special Taxes Division

Minnesota Department of Revenue
Special Taxes Division
Mail Station 3331
600 North Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55146-3331

Criminal Investigation Division

  • Tip Line: 651-297-5195 or 1-800-657-3500 (24 hours a day)
  • General Phone Number: 651-296-0811 (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. weekdays)
  • FAX: 651-556-3105