Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 1/30/2018

Accelerated Payment

​​Am I required to make an accelerated payment?

If your total alcoholic beverage tax liability was $250,000 or more during a fiscal year ending June 30, you must accelerate your June liability for the next year. For example, you must accelerate your June 2018 payment if your liability was at least $250,000 from July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017. (See Minnesota Statutes 297G.09, subd 9.)

If you file and pay more than one alcohol tax (e.g., distilled spirits and wine) you must accelerate the June liability for each tax type.

When do I make an accelerated payment?

You must pay your actual May liability and at least 81.4 percent of your June liability two business days before June 30. The remaining June liability is due on August 18.

NOTE: You must apply your payment to your June period as an estimated payment type.

When do I file the return associated with my accelerated payment?

Your May alcohol tax return is due two business days before June 30. The June alcohol tax return is due on August 18.     

What is the penalty for not filing an accelerated payment?

There is no penalty if your accelerated payment in June equals at least 81.4 percent of your actual May or June liability. Otherwise, a 10 percent penalty is added to the amount that your accelerated payment was short.