Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 1/25/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Cigarette Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Cigarette Tax > Resources

  • What are the relevant statutes?Back to top

    Chapter 297F - Cigarette and Tobacco Taxes

    Chapter 299F - Fire Standard Compliant (FSC) Cigarettes
    Chapter 297D - Marijuana and Controlled Substance Taxation
    Section 325F.781 - Requirements; Tobacco Product Delivery Sales
    Section 289A.60 - Penalties

  • How do I know you received my stamp order?Back to top

    Call us at 651-556-3035.

  • Can I use a carrier that is not UPS to ship cigarette stamps?Back to top

    No. We only ship Cigarette Tax stamps through UPS. However, you may use and armored car service or pick up stamps yourself at the Department of Revenue.​

  • What is the Cigarette Tax breakdown for settlement and non-settlement brands? Back to top

    Click here for tax-rate tables.

  • Should the retailers who buy cigarettes from me charge sales tax? Back to top

    No. The Sales Tax is included in the cost of Cigarette Tax stamps, purchased and applied by distributors. 



  • How do I order cigarette stamps? How can I be sure you received my stamp order?Back to top

    For information on how to order cigarette stamps, see Ordering Cigarette Tax Stamps.
    If you want to verify that we received your stamp order, call us at 651-556-3035. ​
    NOTE! If we receive your order after 1 p.m. Central Time, we will process your order the next business day.

  • Is an e-cigarette taxed as a cigarette or tobacco product?Back to top

    E-cigarettes are considered tobacco products. For more information, see our E-Cigarettes webpage.

  • Where do I put e-cigarette information on my return?Back to top

    On the Tobacco Products Tax (Form CT301-T). See Forms and Instructions.


  • Do I need a distributor or subjobber license?Back to top

    You will need a cigarette distributor license if you do any of the following:
    • Acquire untaxed cigarettes for sale to Minnesota subjobbers or retailers,
    • Ship or transport cigarettes to Minnesota retailers to be sold by those retailers, or
    • Purchase cigarettes directly from a manufacturer and apply cigarette stamps to at least 50 percent of the cigarettes you sell.
    You will need a cigarette subjobber license if you do any of the following:

    • Acquire stamped cigarettes from a distributor to sell to retailers,
    • Are a licensed distributor who delivers, sells or distributes stamped cigarettes from a business not covered in your distributor's license, or
    • Are a vending machine operator; principal business is operating, or owning and leasing to operators, machines for the vending of merchandise or service.

  • What do I do if I have an overage or a shortage?Back to top

    If you find you have an overage or a shortage for the month, you may review our list of causes of overages and shortages for resident or nonresident distributors. This can give you an idea of why you may have an overage or a shortage. Due to natural fluctuations in business we will offset your overages to a shortage that falls the month before or after the shortage during an audit. Any shortage not covered by an overage will result in additional tax when an audit of your records is completed.​


  • How do I know if I have an overage or a shortage?Back to top

    If you're a Minnesota distributor, complete Form CT201R, Minnesota Distributors Cigarette Reconciliation. If line 18 is more than line 7, you have a shortage. If line 7 is more than line 18, you have an overage.

    If you're an out-of-state distributor, complete Form CT401R Nonresident Distributors Cigarette Reconciliation. If line 14 is more than line 12D, you have a shortage. If line 12D is more than line 14 you have an overage. ​

  • How do I request an abatement?Back to top

    You can request an abatement (a reduction or cancellation of your penalty) from the department by sending us a letter explaining why you should get one.

  • When are my Cigarette Tax returns due?Back to top

    On or before the 18th of the month following the end of the reporting month.  We consider the postmark date to be the filing date. If the due date falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you can mail your payments or send them electronically on the next business day.  If you owe accelerated tax, see Accelerated Payments for more information on due dates.

  • Where do I send my return?Back to top

    Minnesota Revenue, Mail Station 3331, St. Paul, MN 55146-3331

  • Who do I make the check out to?Back to top

    Minnesota Revenue​

  • Is there a list of cigarette and tobacco distributors available?Back to top

    ​Yes. Click here to view a PDF of the list. The list is updated quarterly.