Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 1/25/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge > File and Pay > Filing requirements

  • How do I calculate penalties or interest on my return?Back to top

    Calculate penalties and interest as follows (see example below):
    • Late filing penalty = 5 percent of unpaid tax
    • Late payment penalty = 5 percent of unpaid tax (if 1 to 30 days late); 10 percent (if 31 to 60 days late); or 15 percent (if over 60 days late)
    • Interest = (tax + penalty) × interest rate × # days late ÷ 365
    Example: You file your return 37 days late and owe $1,000 in tax.
    Calculate your penalties as follows:
    • Late filing penalty = $1,000 × 0.05 = $50
    • Late payment penalty = $1,000 × 0.10 = $100
    Calculate your interest as follows (assuming the interest rate is 3 percent):
    • Interest = ($1,000 + 50 + 100) × 0.03 × 37 ÷ 365 = $3.50
    Note: For the current interest rate, see Penalty and Interest Rates.

  • Can I get more time for my audit?Back to top

    Yes. Contact the auditor assigned to your case to request the additional time. They may ask for the request in writing.​

  • Can someone else handle my audit on my behalf?Back to top

    Yes. You may assign a power of attorney (POA) to another person so they can represent you. To do so, complete Form REV184, Power of Attorney, and send it to the auditor assigned to your case before your POA contacts the auditor.​

  • Where can I find my Minnesota tax ID number?Back to top

    It should appear on any letter that was sent to you by the Department of Revenue. If you cannot find it, please call us at 651-556-3024.

  • How do I update my contact information or update my account?Back to top

    You can do it through our e-Services system. Or, you can mail your updated information to:

    Minnesota Revenue
    Mail Station 1780
    St. Paul, MN 55146-1780


  • Why am I required to file when I am not licensed in Minnesota?Back to top


    It is possible your registration is wrong, or you have changed your license with the Department of Commerce and we have not been notified. Please call the Insurance Taxes Unit at 651-556-3024 so we can update or close your account if needed.​


  • What if I do not understand what was changed on my account?Back to top


    Call the Insurance Taxes Unit at 651-556-3024 and we'll review your account with you.​


  • What if I made a payment but it does not show up on my account?Back to top

    Call the Insurance Taxes Unit at 651-556-3024 and provide us with your:

    • Minnesota tax ID number
    • account number
    • routing number

    Also have the payment date, amount, method (electronic or check). If your payment was misapplied, we can correct it.​

  • If I update my business information with the Department of Commerce, do I also need to notify the Department of Revenue?Back to top


  • Where do I send my overnight shipment or package?Back to top

    ​​Minnesota Revenue
    600 North Robert Street
    St. Paul, MN 55101