Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 1/25/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge > File and Pay

  • Do I need to file a return for this surcharge if I didn't write any Insurance business?Back to top

    Yes. You are required to file a return even if you have no Insurance business to report. Check the "No Activity" box at the top of the form if you have no business to report.​

  • Do I need to pay electronically?Back to top

    ​Yes, if you meet either of these requirements:

    • Your total insurance taxes and surcharges equal or greater than $10,000 for the prior fiscal year ending June 30.
    • You are required to pay any other Minnesota tax electronically.​

  • What is the surcharge rate? Back to top

    ​The surcharge is 50 cents per vehicle, per six months of comprehensive coverage, on vehicles licensed in Minnesota.  View the law, Minnesota Statute 297I.11.

  • What is the surcharge for policy periods longer or shorter than 6 months?Back to top

    ​The surcharge is prorated as follows:

    •  $1 if the policy period is 12 months
    •  25 cents if the policy is 3 months
    •  8 cents if the period is 1 month​

  • What if I reported and paid the wrong amount on my account? Back to top

    ​You may correct errors reported on previously filed returns by filing an amended return.

    If you receive a correction notice from the Department of Revenue, follow the instructions on how to repair the error.