Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 10/26/2017

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > Tax Information > Residency (Part-Year/Non-resident/Filing Requirements: Nonresidents

  • I work for a Minnesota corporation at my home office in Wisconsin and travel to Minnesota for monthly meetings. Do I need to pay any Minnesota taxes?Back to top

    ​It depends. You must allocate your wages to Minnesota based on the time you were physically working in Minnesota. You must file a Minnesota income tax return if the allocated Minnesota wages and any other income that you have from Minnesota sources for the year met the minimum filing requirement.

  • I worked in Minnesota, but retired and moved out of the state. Do I still need to pay Minnesota taxes on my pension?Back to top

    ​No. Pension income is taxed by your state of residence. 

    However, your pension will be taxed for the time you were a Minnesota resident. You'll need to file Form M1 and Schedule M1NR.

  • Do I need to file a Minnesota income tax return if I lived here for only part of the year? Back to top

    ​Yes. If your Minnesota income for the year exceeds the minimum filing requirement.

    If you had Minnesota tax withheld from your wages, you made estimated tax payments, or you qualify for certain Minnesota refundable credits, file a return to claim a refund. To do so, use Form M1 and Schedule M1NR.

    If you were a Minnesota resident and were out of the state on temporary basis, you are still considered a Minnesota resident and would need to file a Minnesota income tax return.  See Domicile.