Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > Tax Information > Residency (Part-Year/Non-resident/Filing Requirements): Part-Year Residents

  • I worked in Minnesota, but retired and moved out of the state. Do I still need to pay Minnesota taxes on my pension?Back to top

    No. Pension income is taxed by your state of residence. 

    However, your pension will be taxed for the time you were a Minnesota resident. You'll need to file Form M1, Individual Income Tax and Schedule M1NR, Nonresident/Part-year Residents.

  • Do I need to file a Minnesota income tax return if I lived here for only part of the year? Back to top

    It depends. you must file if your Minnesota income for the year exceeds the minimum filing requirement.

    If you had Minnesota tax withheld from your wages, you made estimated tax payments, or you qualify for certain Minnesota refundable credits, file a return to claim a refund. To do so, use Form M1, Minnesota Income Tax and Schedule M1NR, Nonresidents/Part-Year Residents.

    If you were a Minnesota resident and were out of the state on temporary basis, you are still considered a Minnesota resident and would need to file a Minnesota income tax return.  See Domicile.