Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > Tax Information > Individual income tax and property tax refunds

  • When I filed my Minnesota tax return, I chose “direct deposit” for my refund, but I closed my bank account. Can I change my banking information?Back to top

    No. You can’t change your banking information once your return is filed. If your refund can’t be deposited because the account is closed, we will mail a paper check to the current address we have on file for you.

  • What if I received a refund check, but I wanted to apply my refund to next year’s estimated tax? Back to top

    Mark the check “VOID” and return it to the department with a cover letter that explains what happened and includes your name, Social Security number and daytime phone. Mail it to:

    Minnesota Revenue
    Mail Station 4108
    St. Paul, MN 55146-4108.​

  • What if I wanted to get a refund on my Minnesota tax return, but I checked the box to apply my refund to next year’s estimated tax?Back to top

    It depends. If you usually don’t owe or pay estimated tax, the department can issue your refund. Send a written request to:

    Minnesota Revenue
    Mail Station 5510
    St. Paul, MN 55146-5510

    Note: If you’ve often paid estimated tax in previous years (or applied previous refunds to estimated tax), we may deny your request. In that case, you have to wait until you file next year’s tax return to claim your refund. For more information, see Minnesota Rules 8050.0100, subpart 3.