Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > Tax Information > Aliens

  • I don’t have a social security number, but I earned income in Minnesota. Do I have to file a state return and pay Minnesota income tax?Back to top

    Yes, if your Minnesota income was over the minimum filing requirement ($10,400 for 2017). If you don’t have a Social Security number, contact the IRS and request an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). File your return using your ITIN.

  • If I’m a “nonresident alien,” can I file for a Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) or Renter's Property Tax Refund?Back to top

    ​You may qualify for the refund if you spent at least 183 days in Minnesota during the year, you maintain a residence in Minnesota, and you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.

    You must also meet other eligibility requirements to qualify.