Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > File and Pay > Income Tax: ITIN

  • If I have an ITIN, why am I being denied a homeowner’s Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners)?Back to top

    Under state law, ITINs are not valid to claim the homestead classification on a property, which is required to qualify for the homeowner’s refund.

  • If my spouse has a valid Social Security number, can he/she get homestead classification and qualify for a homeowner’s Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners)? Back to top

     Yes, if they are listed as an owner, occupy the property and meet the eligibility requirements. However, the income of all adults occupying the property must be included when calculating “household income” on Form M1PR, ​Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners).

  • Do renters with an ITIN qualify for the Renter Property Tax Refund?Back to top

    Yes, if they meet the eligibility requirements. No Social Security number is needed to receive a renter’s refund. ​