Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Individual Income Tax > File and Pay > Amended return

  • After I filed my taxes, a W-2 form arrived from an employer that I’d forgotten about. Now what do I do?Back to top

    You must amend your tax returns to report the additional income. For your state return, file Form M1X, Amended Minnesota Income Tax. Attach a copy of the W-2 form and your amended federal return (Form 1040 X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax return).

    Note: If you’re expecting a state tax refund from your first return, don’t file Form M1X until you receive the refund. That way you will be sure the original return had no errors on it.

  • How far back can I file an amended return to claim a refund?Back to top

    You must amend your Minnesota return within 3½ years from the due date for the original return.  For example, if your 2014 state tax return was due April 15, 2015, you would have to file Form M1X by Oct. 15, 2018 in order to claim a refund.


  • How long does it take the department to process an amended return?Back to top

    All amended returns are reviewed and processed in the order received. This process takes more than several months to complete.  You can check the status of your refund by going to our “Where’s My Refund?” page. It will give you the most up-to-date information available on your return.

  • What should I do if the IRS examined and changed my federal income tax return?Back to top

    You must amend your Minnesota return within 180 days of the IRS changes. Attach a copy of the IRS notice when you file Form M1X, Amended Minnesota Income Tax.​