Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Petroleum Taxes

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Petroleum Taxes > File and Pay > Organic Fuel

  • Do I need to file a return even though I have no liability?Back to top

    Yes. You must file a return for each month that your license is in effect. If you have no liability, you still need to file a return with zero gallons reported by the due date.​

  • What is considered an organic oil?Back to top

    Organic Oils and other unrefined products are derived from plants or animals and not chemically processed or refined.

    This includes, but is not limited to, waste oil, used fryer oils, fish oils, unprocessed corn oils, soybean oils and other organic oils​

  • What records should I keep for Minnesota tax purposes, and how long should I keep them?Back to top

    Fuel terminals must keep records of receipts, disbursements, and inventories. For more information, see MN Rules 8125.0200.

    Distributors, dealers, bulk purchasers, special fuel dealers and users of special fuel must keep records of all purchases, transfers, sales, and use of petroleum products and special fuel. This includes copies of all sales tickets, customer activity reports, and supplemental reports to verify all credits and deductions taken. Accurate inventories should be available as reported on Form PDA-78, Petroleum Product Reconciliation. For more information, see MN Rule 8125.0400
    You must keep and maintain records for at least 3 1/2 years. View the MN Statute 296A.19.​