Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Property Tax Refund

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Property Tax Refund > File and Pay > Electronic: Homestead Credit Refund

  • When will I get my refund?Back to top

    When can I expect  my refund?
    Every return we receive is different, so processing time will vary. You can check on the status of your Property Tax Refund after July 1 by using our Where’s My Refund system. You can follow your return through the refund process. When we are finished, you will see the date your refund was sent.

    What happens after you receive my return?
    We will:

    • Check the return for accuracy
    • Process your return
    • Send your refund
    What can slow down my refund?
    • Mailing a paper return
    • Not choosing direct deposit
    • Errors on your tax return
    • Returns we identify for additional review

  • If I start my Homestead Credit Refund Return using e-Services but cannot finish it, can I save it and come back later?Back to top

    Yes. Look for the Save and Finish later button on the bottom of the page. It will save your information for 14 days. If you wait longer than 14 days, you will have to start over.

  • What if I have questions about the software vendor?Back to top

    ​You must contact the customer support area for the product you’re using. Software companies provide these services, not the Minnesota Department of Revenue. We do not endorse any company or offer technical assistance for the software products.

  • Where do I mail my paper form?Back to top

    Mail your return, with any required documentation, in the printed envelope included in the Minnesota Property Tax Refund booklet.

    If you don't have the printed envelope, mail your return to:

    Minnesota Individual Income Tax
    Mail Station 0020
    St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

    Be sure to include enough postage to avoid having your forms returned to you by the U.S. Postal Service. You’ll probably need additional postage if you enclose more than three sheets of paper.


  • How do I fill out the M1PR on screen?Back to top

    Open Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund.

    To complete the form, click the cursor in the appropriate area and type in your information.

    • Use the Tab key to move from field to field on the form.
    • To mark an “X” in an oval box, click inside the oval.
    • To indicate a negative number, use the minus sign. When you use a minus sign, an “X” will automatically appear in the designated box.
      When you print your completed return, make sure that "Auto-rotate” and “center pages" is checked in the print options.
    • DO NOT check the "Shrink to fit" or "Expand to fit" boxes. If these boxes are already checked, click on them to uncheck.

  • What do I need to know when filling out the M1PR by hand?Back to top

    Filing a paper Form M1PR that you print out from your computer and then complete by hand.

    • Download and print Form M1PR
    • Use black ink.
    • Do not highlight numbers, as this prevents our scanning equipment from reading the numbers.
    • Use CAPITAL letters when entering your name and address.

    Filing an original paper form

    Follow the instructions on page 8 of the Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund booklet.

    Note: For all of the above options, be sure you do all of the following:
    Use whole dollar amounts.

    • Leave lines blank if they don’t apply to you or if the amount is zero.
    • Sign and date your return. (Your spouse must also sign if you are married and filing a joint return).
    • Behind your Form M1PR include a copy of your Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) if you are a renter.
    • Do not use staples on your return. If you want to ensure that your papers stay together, use a paper clip.