Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Clients (other agencies)

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Related Information

Local Government > Clients > Revenue Recapture Agencies

  • What can I do in e-Services?Back to top

  • How do I reset my password if the "Forgot Your Password?" and "Account Locked?" options did not work?Back to top

    Contact the Revenue Recapture Unit to get a temporary password. 

    You must provide:

    • Your agency's name
    • Your agency's 10-digit ID
    • Your user ID

  • What should my agency do if we receive an overpayment?Back to top

    Contact the Revenue Recapture Unit before refunding any overpayments. We will tell you whether to refund the payment to the debtor or return it to us, depending on whether the individual has other obligations.

    Provide the debtor's name, last four digits of their Social Security number, the amount of the overpayment, and your agency's 10-digit revenue recapture account number.

    Ensure your agency's claim has been canceled, if appropriate.

    Note: If your agency refunds the full amount of an intercept due to an incorrect claim balance, you must also refund the $15 recapture fee to the debtor.

  • When should "injured spouse" refunds be returned to the Minnesota Department of Revenue?Back to top

    Contact the Revenue Recapture Unit before refunding to an injured spouse.  We will tell you whether to process the refund or return it to us, depending on whether the individual has other obligations.

  • How can my agency register to use the Revenue Recapture System?Back to top

    Review Minnesota Statutes, section 270A to see if your agency qualifies to use the program.  If your agency qualifies, contact the Revenue Recapture Unit for registration information.​

  • Is a Social Security number required to enter a claim?Back to top

    Yes.  Your agency must provide the name and Social Security number for each claim submitted.  The claimany agency is in the best position to authenticate the debt and debtor before submitting the claim to Revenue Recapture.  Because of data privacy, Minnesota Revenue will not provide the Social Security number or any corrections to a Social Security number.  Minnesota Revenue may only disclose the Social Security number for reporting payments to the claimany agency.

    These are the supporting statutes:

    M.S. 270A.04 Subd. 3 Information Required

    M.S. 270A.11 Data Privacy


  • How can my agency cancel a user's access to the Revenue Recapture System?Back to top

    To cancel a user's access, you must contact the Revenue Recapture Unit. You must provide your agency's 10-digit Revenue Recapture ID number, the user's login name, and the date of deactivation. View instructions for canceling your own access in e-Services.​

  • What is the Agency Control Number?Back to top

    It is an optional field your agency can use to store account numbers or other internal ID information (up to 9 characters). This information displays in the Control Number column of your claim list found within the Claims tab.

  • Is there a statute of limitations for revenue recapture claims?Back to top

    No, but there may be a statute of limitations for your debt. Check with your agency's legal counsel for assistance. Once the statute of limitations for a debt passes, you must withdraw any revenue recapture claims filed for the debt.

  • What is the lowest balance allowed for a revenue recapture claim?Back to top

    For new claims, it is $25. For existing claims, it is $15. The Revenue Recapture System will automatically close a claim if the balance drops below $15.

  • When my agency receives a revenue recapture payment from the department, how can I tell what claim(s) the payment is for?Back to top

    ​Login to e-Services and go to your agency's Reconciliation Report.  View step-by-step instructions.

  • What if a debtor is receiving public assistance or claiming a financial hardship when their refund is recaptured?Back to top

    If a debtor is receiving public assistance, your agency should refund the recaptured amount. The claim can remain open for future recaptures.

    When a debtor claims financial hardship, refer to your agency's policy to decide whether you refund the recaptured amount.

  • What if a debtor disputes a debt for which my agency has already filed a claim?Back to top

    We tell the debtor to contact your agency. If the debt is not valid, your agency must adjust the claim. View instructions for adjusting a claim.

  • How does bankruptcy affect a revenue recapture claim?Back to top

    ​Refunds should not be intercepted from a debtor in bankruptcy.  When you are notified of a bankruptcy:

    1. Ask the debtor for documentation to prove the bankruptcy filing and/or discharge dates.
    2. Place a hold on the claim to prevent recaptures until the bankruptcy is discharged. View instructions for placing a hold on a claim.
    3. If a refund was intercepted during a bankruptcy, it must be returned to the debtor.  Note: For joint claims, refunds may be intercepted from a joint filer who is not in bankruptcy.
    4. If the refund is returned to the debtor, you must notify the Revenue Recapture Unit to refund the fee.


  • Why should I place a hold instead of canceling a claim and adding it again later?Back to top

    Placing a hold on your claim will keep its priority status if other claims filed after yours.


  • When my agency adds a claim, what notice do we have to send to the debtor?Back to top

    Your agency must send notice to the debtor within 5 days explaining your intent to use Revenue Recapture. You must include certain information in the notice. For details, see Revenue Recapture Fact Sheet.

    Note: Your agency may send the debtor notice before adding theclaim to allow time for questions, disputes, or payments.

    Sample Notice

  • Do rents qualify for revenue recapture claims?Back to top

    Claims for unpaid rents may only be filed if the apartment building is owned by a city or governmental agency, such as Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA). Privately-owned apartment buildings, even if managed by an HRA, do not qualify.​