Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/16/2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Utility Property Tax

7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Mon.-Fri.


Related Information

Utility Property Tax > Tax Information

  • Who is required to file a Utility Market Value Return?Back to top

    Every utility (electric light, power, gas, water, and transportation pipeline) company doing business in Minnesota must file the Utility Market Value Return and Utility Property Record Return by March 31 of each year.

  • Where do I send the Utility Market Value Return?Back to top

    Email an electronic copy of your completed report to

    Please note that the certification page will need to be printed off, signed, and emailed back with the completed electronic report.

  • Where do I send the Utility Property Record Return?Back to top

    Each company will receive a copy of their Property Records from the previous year in January.  Each company will then need to update the property records with any changes that occurred during the year and email the updated records to

  • Can I get a filing extension?Back to top

    Possibly. The Department of Revenue may grant a 15-day extension if:

    • good cause prevents you from filing by the March 31 deadline; and
    • you make an extension request in writing by March 31.

  • Where do I send payment for Utility Property Tax?Back to top

    The county in which the operating property is located will bill you.  If you have more questions regarding property tax statements and property tax due dates, you can contact the county directly. Click here for a directory of county websites.​